A delicious souffle originally from Austro-Hungary, this recipe can also be prepared with other soft berries such as raspberries, loganberries, boy-senberries, or blueberries.
- 1 pound very ripe strawberries
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar plus extra for coating dish
- 4 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Rinse a 2 -quart souffle dish with water, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Combine the egg-yolk mixture with the pureed strawberries.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then fold them into the strawberry mixture along with the graham cracker crumbs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and place in a larger pan filled with hot water.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until souffle is well risen.
- It will have a thin cooked crust but be fairly liquid in the center while hot, stiffening up as it cools.
- Let souffle cool, then unmold. Serve hot or cold.
- For Passover, substitute coarse matzo meal or cooked matzo farfel for the graham cracker crumbs.
Calories: 207 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 123 mg
Sodium: 81 mg
Potassium: 142 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 35 g
Vitamin A: 185 IU
Vitamin C: 33 mg
Calcium: 32 mg
Iron: 1 mg