Stir Tossed Cabbage
- 1 1/2 lb good crisp green cabbage washed and trimmed
- 1 1/2 oz butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- This needs a very large saucepan with a close fitting lid.
- Place the saucepan over a fierce heat and put in the water and butter.
- While the butter is melting, cut the cabbage into ribbons half an inch to one inch (1-2.5 cm) wide.
- When the water has boiled and the butter melted, put all the cabbage into the saucepan, add the salt, put on the lid and give it a vigorous shake.
- Put it back on the maximum heat for 1 minute.
- The effect is to steam-cook the cabbage, preserving the vitamins. Take off the lid and grind black pepper into it.
- Put the lid back on and give the saucepan another vigorous shake.
- Place it back on the heat for another 45 seconds.
- just tip the whole lot into a bowl as the buttery juices are lovely too.
- The butter has coated the whole of the cabbage, which is hot, crisp, bright green and delicious.
Calories: 119 kcal
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 23 mg
Sodium: 110 mg
Potassium: 295 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 434 IU
Vitamin C: 62 mg
Calcium: 73 mg
Iron: 1 mg