Basic Pork Sausages
- 1 lb pork shoulder without rind or bone
- 8 oz hard back fat
- 1 oz soft white breadcrumbs optional, plus milk to moisten
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp mixed grated nutmeg ground mace and ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- sausage casings soaked if natural or egg and breadcrumbs
- Mince the pork and fat together once or twice, then mix thoroughly with the breadcrumbs (if using), salt and pepper, spices and sage. If you are using breadcrumbs, add a little milk to moisten.
- Saute a little of the sausage-meat mixture until cooked, then taste it and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 10-15 minutes to firm it up, then use it to fill rinsed-out casings or mould into sausage shapes with your hands. Egg-and-breadcrumb the sausages before grilling/broiling or frying if they are not cased.
Calories: 198 kcal
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 26 mg
Sodium: 37 mg
Potassium: 96 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 5 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 8 mg
Iron: 1 mg