Spring Rolls #2
The rolls may be made a few hours in advance, allowed to cool, then reheated in a 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 oven just before serving.
- 10 oz beansprouts
- 8 spring onions cut into matchstick strips
- 1 red pepper deseeded, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 slice fresh ginger root finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- spring onion tassels to garnish
- 7 oz plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 floz warm water
- Make the pastry: sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then make a well in the centre and pour in the water. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended, then knead well until the dough is soft and pliable. Wrap in cling film and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Heat the oil in a large frying-pan or wok and add the beansprouts, the spring onions, red pepper, mushrooms and ginger. Fry briskly, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add the soy sauce, sherry, and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 further minute and remove from the heat.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface as thinly as possible to a neat rectangle, 45 x 30 cm (18 x 12 inches). Cut the pastry into six 15 cm/6 inch squares.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture in the centre of each pastry square. Fold in the sides, brush with a little water then carefully roll up. Dampen underside of pastry ends and press to seal.
- Heat the oven to 110C/225F/Gas 1/4
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat frier to 190C/375F or until a stale bread cube browns in 50 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon lower 3 rolls into the oil and fry for about 5 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Keep warm while frying the remainder.
Calories: 214 kcal
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 370 mg
Potassium: 261 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 790 IU
Vitamin C: 35 mg
Calcium: 26 mg
Iron: 2 mg