Spiced Fried Soup
- 4 tbsps oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled but left whole
- 1 lb chicken breast skinned, boned and cut into small pieces
- 1 cake tofu drained and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
- 2 oz raw cashew nuts
- 4 shallots roughly chopped
- 1 carrot very thinly sliced
- 3 oz mange tout
- 2 oz Chinese noodles soaked for 5 minutes in hot water and drained throughly
- 2 1/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lime 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Heat some of the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the garlic and cook until brown. Remove the garlic from the pan and discard.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook in the oil, until they begin to brown. Remove the pieces and drain well.
- Add a little more oil and cook the tofu until lightly brown. Remove and drain well.
- Add the cashews and cook, stirring constantly until toasted. Remove and drain well.
- Add a little more oil and fry the shallots and carrots until lightly browned. Stir in the mange tout and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and drain.
- Heat the oil in the wok until it is very hot, adding any remaining from the original amount. Add the noodles and cook quickly until brown on one side. Turn over and brown the other side.
- Lower the heat and pour in the stock. Stir in the lime juice, turmeric, curry leaves, ginger, soy sauce and seasoning. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to prevent the noodles from sticking.
- Add the-fried ingredients and heat through for 5 minutes. Serve immediately
Calories: 586 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 46 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 81 mg
Sodium: 850 mg
Potassium: 1026 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 2846 IU
Vitamin C: 30 mg
Calcium: 173 mg
Iron: 4 mg