Spiced Wholemeal Muffins with Marmalade and Raspberry Yoghurt
- rapeseed or vegetable oil spray
- 4 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
- 5 1/2 floz buttermilk
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp low-sugar marmalade for glazing
for the filling
- 3 1/2 oz 0% fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tsp low-sugar marmalade
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 3 1/2 oz fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Spray a six-hole muffin tin lightly with oil.
- Sift the plain flour with the baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Using a fork, stir in the wholemeal flour and mixed spice until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour in the oil and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk and orange zest and juice together, then pour into the centre of the flour mixture and mix with a metal spoon, being careful not to over-mix - the batter should look a little uneven and lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin to come about three-quarters of the way up the sides of each hole. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Brush with the marmalade and leave to cool.
- For the filling, mix the yoghurt with the marmalade and orange zest. Cut the warm muffins through the centre and fill with the yoghurt mixture and raspberries.
- These muffins are best served warm, about 30 minutes after removing from the oven, and will work well with low-sugar raspberry jam instead of marmalade if you prefer.
Calories: 184 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 82 mg
Potassium: 162 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 99 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 86 mg
Iron: 2 mg