Make sure that the raisin filling is quite cold before it is put into the pastry-lined tin. If hot filling is put into raw pastry it will make the fat in the pastry melt and thus cause the pastry base to become soggy.
- 6 oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 oz caster sugar
- 3 oz margarine or butter diced
- 1 egg beaten
- a little milk for brushing caster sugar, for sifting
- 12 oz seedless raisins
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 oz sugar
- 1/4 pint water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour 2 teaspoons water
- Sift the flour with the salt and sugar into a bowl. Add the diced margarine and rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and mix to a stiff dough. Wrap in cling film or foil and refrigerate.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7.
- Prepare the filling: put the raisins, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, sugar and water into a saucepan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with the water, then stir into the raisin mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Cut off one-third of the pastry and set it aside. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to line a 20 cm/8 inch loose-bottomed fluted flan tin or a flan ring set on a baking sheet.
- Spoon the cold raisin filling into the pastry-lined tin. J] Roll out the reserved piece of pastry to a round large enough to cover the pie. Dampen the pastry rim with water, then place the pastry lid on top and press the edges together to seal. Brush the top of the pie with milk, then prick it with a fork.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove the sides of the tin or the flan ring and return the pie to the oven for a further 5 minutes to brown the sides. Remove the pie from the oven and immediately sift over caster sugar.
Calories: 2652 kcal
Carbohydrates: 489 g
Protein: 33 g
Saturated Fat: 46 g
Trans Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 347 mg
Sodium: 776 mg
Potassium: 3107 mg
Fiber: 28 g
Sugar: 86 g
Vitamin A: 2368 IU
Vitamin C: 30 mg
Calcium: 182 mg
Iron: 18 mg