Raisin, Orange and Cinnamon Tart
This is a simple tart which is easy to make and offers a welcome break from some of the more indulgent tarts described elsewhere in this book. In earlier times, it would have been made with butter and real flour, as opposed to cornflour, but I use the latter as it guarantees no lumps and allows the full flavour of the fruit to come through.
- 10 oz rich sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus extra for decoration
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- 4 oz light soft brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 12 oz seedless raisins soaked in boiling water for 1 minute, then drained and dried
- 2 oz walnuts finely chopped
- a little milk to glaze
- Roll out 175 g (6 oz) pastry and use to line a shallow 23 cm (9 in) tart tin. Pre-bake or bake blind. Wrap and chill the remaining pastry.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Blend the cornflour, cinnamon, fruit zests and juices in a saucepan. Add 300ml (1/2 pint) water, the sugar, salt and raisins and stir to mix. Cook very slowly over a gentle heat until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly, then continue to cook for a further 2 minutes to ensure that the cornflour has been cooked through, stirring.
- Add the walnuts, stir to mix, then remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Spoon the raisin mixture into the pre-baked pastry case. Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid, dampen the edges at the rim of the tart tin, place the pastry lid on top and press to seal the edges. Prick the pastry lid with a fork and brush all over with a little milk. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- Serve hot or warm with cream.
- Cook's Tip - This tart makes a good picnic tart, being so easily transported (in which case serve it with a good, nutty, sweet wine).
Calories: 357 kcal
Carbohydrates: 74 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 188 mg
Potassium: 484 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 42 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 48 mg
Iron: 3 mg