Prawns and Cashews in Pineapple with Tarragon Dressing
Served in the pineapple shells, this impressive salad is ideal for a summer lunch or buffet.
- 2 small fresh pineapples with nice green tops
- 8 oz cooked peeled prawns
- 4 oz roasted unsalted cashew nuts
- 2 sticks of celery thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 floz whipping cream
- Cut the pineapples carefully in half lengthways, leaving their green tops attached.
- Cut out the pineapple flesh carefully, leaving a 5 mm ( 1/4 inch) border of flesh on the inside of the shell. Remove the cores and cut the flesh into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the chopped pineapple into a bowl, along with the prawns, cashew nuts and celery. Pour in the lemon juice and mix well. Divide the mixture equally between the pineapple shells, and chill them in the refrigerator.
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar. Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and whisk in the vinegar and tarragon. Continue whisking until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool completely, whisking occasionally.
- When completely cold, whip the cream until it is just beginning to thicken, then fold it into the dressing mixture.
- Pour the cream dressing over the salad in the pineapple shells and serve.
- Whisking the egg and sugar dressing can be done with an electric mixer. It will not then be necessary to whisk the dressing over a pan of hot water.
Calories: 496 kcal
Carbohydrates: 68 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 141 mg
Sodium: 703 mg
Potassium: 847 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 51 g
Vitamin A: 808 IU
Vitamin C: 236 mg
Calcium: 102 mg
Iron: 2 mg