Pasta et Sicilian Sauce
- 1 lb tomatoes halved
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 1 3/4 oz sultanas
- 1 3/4 oz can anchovies drained and halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp concentrated tomato puree paste
- 1 1/2 lb fresh or 12 oz dried penne
- Cook the tomatoes under a preheated grill (broiler) for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, then once cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and dice the flesh.
- Place the pine nuts on a baking tray (cookie sheet) and lightly toast under the grill (broiler) for 2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Soak the sultanas in a bowl of warm water for about 20 minutes. Drain the sultanas thoroughly.
- Place the tomatoes, pine nuts and sultanas in a small saucepan and gently heat.
- Add the anchovies and tomato puree, heating the sauce for a further 2 - 3 minutes or until hot.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling water for 8 - 10 minutes or until it is cooked through, but still has 'bite'. Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving plate and serve with the hot Sicilian sauce.
- Add 100 g (3 1/2 oz) bacon, grilled (broiled) for 5 minutes until crispy, then chopped, instead of the anchovies, if you prefer.
Calories: 766 kcal
Carbohydrates: 143 g
Protein: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Sodium: 475 mg
Potassium: 886 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 992 IU
Vitamin C: 17 mg
Calcium: 85 mg
Iron: 4 mg