Parathas (Fried Wholewheat Bread)
Paratha is a layered fried bread, formed by brushing the dough with ghee or clarified butter and folding and rolling it a number of times. The dough may be prepared in advance and kept for several hours in the refrigerator, covered with a damp cloth. They can also be cooked, then reheated either in the frying-pan or in a hot oven before serving.
- 8 oz Wholewheat wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 oz Ghee or clarified butter
- 4 floz Water
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the ghee or clarified butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it is absorbed. Pour in 50 ml (2 fl oz) (1/4 cup) of the water and, using your hands, knead the mixture until it forms a soft dough. If it is too dry, add the remaining water, a little at a time, until the dough is soft and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on to a lightly floured board and knead for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Pat into a ball and return to the bowl. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out on to the floured board and divide into four portions. Shape each portion into a ball and roll out into a thin round shape. Brush each round with a little of the remaining ghee or clarified butter. Fold the rounds in half, then in quarters. Roll out into rounds again, brush with a little more of the ghee or butter, fold and repeat the process again until all but 2 tablespoons of the ghee or clarified butter has been used up.
- Now roll out each dough piece into a round about 18 cm (7 in) in diameter.
- Using a little of the remaining ghee or clarified butter, lightly grease a heavy frying-pan and heat it over moderate heat. Add a paratha and cook it, moving it with your fingertips occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the underside is lightly browned. Brush the top of the paratha with a little of the remaining clarified butter, turn over and continue cooking for a further 2 to 3 minutes or until it is browned all over.
- Remove from the pan and keep hot while you cook the remaining parathas in the same way.
- Serve hot.
Calories: 215 kcal
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 617 mg
Potassium: 160 mg
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 47 IU
Calcium: 57 mg
Iron: 2 mg