Noodles with Prawns (Shrimp)
- 8 oz thin egg noodles
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground star anise
- 1 bunch spring onions scallions, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) pieces
- 24 raw tiger prawns jumbo shrimp, peeled with tails intact
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- lime wedges to garnish
- Blanch the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for about 2 minutes.
- Drain the noodles well, rinse under cold water and drain thoroughly again. Keep warm and set aside until required.
- Heat the peanut oil in a preheated wok or large frying pan (skillet) until almost smoking.
- Add the crushed garlic and ground star anise to the wok and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the spring onions (scallions) and tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp) to the wok and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in the light soy sauce, lime juice and noodles and mix well.
- Cook the mixture in the wok for about 1 minute until thoroughly heated through and all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon the noodle and prawn mixture into a warm serving dish. Transfer to serving bowls, garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
- If fresh egg noodles are available, these require very little cooking: simply place in boiling water for about 3 minutes, then drain and toss in oil. Noodles can be boiled and eaten plain, or stir-fried with meat and vegetables for a light meal or snack.
Calories: 528 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Protein: 55 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 471 mg
Sodium: 2417 mg
Potassium: 560 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 673 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 211 mg
Iron: 2 mg