Aromatic Seafood Rice
- 8 oz basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick or a piece of cassia bark
- 2 tsp curry paste
- 8 oz peeled prawns shrimp
- 1 lb white fish fillets such as monkfish, cod or haddock, skinned and boned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint boiling water
- 2 oz frozen peas
- 2 oz frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp toasted desiccated shredded coconut
- coriander cilantro sprigs and lime slices, to garnish
- Place the rice in a sieve and wash well under cold running water until the water runs clear, then drain well.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic, spices and curry paste and fry very gently for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and mix well until coated in the spiced oil. Add the prawns (shrimp) and white fish and season well with salt and pepper. Stir lightly, then pour in the boiling water.
- Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, without uncovering the pan. Add the peas and corn, cover and continue cooking for a further 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, fluff up the rice with a fork and transfer to a warm serving platter.
- Sprinkle the dish with the lime juice and toasted coconut, and serve garnished with coriander (cilantro) sprigs and lime slices.
Calories: 482 kcal
Carbohydrates: 56 g
Protein: 40 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 152 mg
Potassium: 713 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 775 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 101 mg
Iron: 2 mg