Kabanos, a Polish pork sausage, is available in delicatessens - 2 sausages should provide the amount needed. If unavailable, use some pepperoni or chorizos.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 14 oz can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz kabanos sausages cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices
- 12 oz cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and the pepper over moderate heat for 3 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, paprika, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and simmer, uncovered, for
- about 10 minutes, stirring the tomato sauce from time to time.
- Add the kabanos and rice to the sauce, stir well and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
- Serve immediately in a warmed serving dish, garnished with the chopped parsley.
Calories: 353 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Protein: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 406 mg
Potassium: 541 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 771 IU
Vitamin C: 38 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Iron: 2 mg