Indian Chutney Fish Steamed in Banana Leaves
- 2 large Pomfrets deboned, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices, washed, each weighing about 1.1 lb
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon nimbu juice
- 1 Coconut nariyal, fresh, grated
- 3 Green chillies seeded
- 1 3/4 oz Green coriander hara dhaniya
- 1 tbsp Ginger adrak
- 1 pod Garlic lasan
- 5 Banana leaves or aluminium foil paper
- Marinate the fish with salt and half the lemon juice for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grind the coconut, green chillies, green coriander, ginger, and garlic to a smooth paste. Add salt and the remaining lemon juice.
- Wash the marinated fish and apply the coconut paste on both sides of the fish.
- Cut the banana leaves large enough to wrap each piece of fish. Spread a little oil over the leaves and wrap each piece like a parcel. Tie with a cotton thread, and steam in a large steamer for 20 minutes. It can also be baked in an oven at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes.
- Remove the string and serve.
Calories: 186 kcal
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 81 mg
Potassium: 101 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 562 IU
Vitamin C: 15 mg
Calcium: 345 mg
Iron: 2 mg