Grilled Chicory With Cheese And Chive Dumplings
- 4 heads chicory
- 16 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 8 oz fresh curd cheese
- 1 eggyolk
- 1 small bunch chives
- 1 oz grated Emmenthal or Edam cheese
- 2 1/2 oz butter
- 2 floz extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) mark 6 and turn on the grill ready for use.
- Trim and rinse the chicory then cut each head lengthwise in half and place cut side uppermost in a single layer in a lightly oiled gratin dish. Season and sprinkle with the olive oil.
- Place the curd cheese in a large mixing bowl and blend in the egg yolk with a wooden spoon; add about 1 tbsp chives snipped with kitchen scissors, the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Stir well and then mould into flattened oval shapes.
- Grill the bacon until crisp; drain off all the fat. Place the gratin dish containing the chicory under the very hot grill for 8 - 10 minutes, turning the chicory pieces halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer the gratin dish to the preheated oven for 5 minutes. By now the chicory will have wilted and softened; fold each one in half so that the cut sides meet and place a piece of crispy bacon on top of each chicory half, then fill the spaces with the cheese and chive dumplings.
- Return the gratin dish to the oven for 4-5 minutes while you melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Pour the butter over the dumplings and serve.
Calories: 643 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 23 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 141 mg
Sodium: 829 mg
Potassium: 1074 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 6907 IU
Vitamin C: 20 mg
Calcium: 470 mg
Iron: 3 mg