- 3 oz butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons white wine or 3 tablespoons water mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons thick honey
- 2 dessert apples
- 1 large or 2 small ripe dessert pears
- 2 small bananas
- 8 whole dates stoned
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 4 slices bread crusts removed
- Beat 50 g (2 oz) butter with the cinnamon and set aside.
- Put the remaining butter into a small saucepan. Add the wine and honey and stir over low heat until melted and blended. Bring slowly to the boil and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until the sauce is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples and pear, then cut into chunky pieces. Peel the bananas and cut each across into 8 pieces. Thread the apples, pears, bananas, dates and the maraschino cherries alternately on to eight 15 cm/6 inch long skewers.
- Lay a sheet of foil over the grill rack and heat the grill to moderate.
- Place the skewers on the foil, brush liberally with some of the sauce, then place as far as possible away from the heat and grill for 10 minutes, turning them over frequently and basting with more sauce.
- Remove the kebabs and foil from the grill pan and keep warm.
- Increase the heat of the grill to high, then toast the bread on 1 side only. Spread the untoasted side with the cinnamon butter, then grill until crisp at the edges.
- Meanwhile, reheat any remaining sauce until bubbling. Place the toast on individual serving plates and place 2 kebabs on each. Pour over the hot sauce and serve at once.
Calories: 319 kcal
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 201 mg
Potassium: 386 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 32 g
Vitamin A: 432 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 50 mg
Iron: 1 mg