Eggs in a Nest
Eggs continue cooking in their own heat if not cooled quickly in cold water.
- 8 eggs
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 4 oz bacon rashers rinds removed, cut into strips
- 1 oz plain flour
- 1/2 pint milk
- 10 oz can sweetcorn drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small packet potato crisps crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put the eggs into a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high.
- Run cold water over the eggs
- and remove shells. Put the eggs into a bowl, cover with warm water and set aside until needed.
- Melt the margarine in a small frying-pan, add the bacon and fry for 4 - 5 minutes until lightly browned. Sprinkle in the flour and stir over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Stir the sweetcorn and the Worcestershire sauce into the bacon sauce. Taste and season with salt, if necessary, and pepper.
- Spread the sweetcorn mixture in a flameproof serving dish, dry the eggs on absorbent paper and arrange them in the corn. Sprinkle over the crushed crisps. Put the dish under the grill for a few minutes to warm the crisps. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve at once, straight from the dish.
- Serve hot with fried bread or toast, fried
Calories: 630 kcal
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 367 mg
Sodium: 585 mg
Potassium: 1053 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 1030 IU
Vitamin C: 12 mg
Calcium: 134 mg
Iron: 3 mg