Crispy Topped Fruit Bake
- 12 oz cooking apples
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 1/2 oz self-raising wholemeal whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon plus extra for dusting
- 6 oz prepared blackberries thawed if frozen, plus extra to decorate
- 6 oz light muscovado sugar
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 7 floz low-fat natural fromage frais unsweetened yogurt
- 2 oz white or brown sugar cubes lightly crushed
- sliced eating dessert apple, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Grease and line a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin (pan). Core, peel and finely dice the apples. Place them in a saucepan with the lemon juice, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until soft and pulpy. Beat well and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon into a bowl, adding any husks that remain in the sieve. Stir in 115 g (4 oz) blackberries and the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and add the egg, fromage frais (unsweetened yogurt) and cooled apple puree. Mix well to incorporate thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin (pan) and smooth over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining blackberries, pressing them down into the cake mixture, and top with the crushed sugar lumps. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin (pan).
- Remove the cake from the tin (pan) and peel away the lining paper. Serve dusted with cinnamon and decorated with extra blackberries and apple slices.
- Try replacing the blackberries with blueberries. Use the canned or frozen variety if fresh blueberries are unavailable.
Calories: 233 kcal
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 44 mg
Potassium: 246 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 28 g
Vitamin A: 103 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 77 mg
Iron: 2 mg