Creamy Spinach Soup
- 1 3/4 lbs fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp polyunsaturated sunflower oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 oz wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 pints skimmed milk
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 pint 1% fat fromage frais or natural yoghurt
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and trim away any tough stalks. Shred the spinach finely.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chopped onion gently, until transparent, but not coloured.
- Stir the flour into the onion, and add the milk gradually, stirring between additions, until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir the spinach into the onion and milk mixture and cook for 5 minutes over a gentle heat, adding a little water or milk, if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Put the soup into a liquidizer or food processor and blend for about 30 seconds, until the spinach has been roughly chopped.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir all but 2 tbsps of the fromage frais or yoghurt into the soup and reheat gently without boiling.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls and garnish with a swirl of the remaining fromage frais or yoghurt.
Calories: 223 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 414 mg
Potassium: 1470 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 19033 IU
Vitamin C: 58 mg
Calcium: 544 mg
Iron: 6 mg