A simple and delicious recipe for preparing a turkey breast in the oven.
- 4 oz chick peas soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 oz onions skinned and chopped
- 2 oz streaky bacon pieces finely snipped
- 2 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 lb turkey breast roast
- 1 pint chicken or turkey stock
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- dash of gravy browning
- Put the chick peas into a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer until tender, at least 2 hours. Drain and mash.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion and bacon until the onion is golden. Remove from the heat, and mix in the next four ingredients with the chick peas and seasoning.
- Put the turkey roast into a small roasting tin. Press the chick-pea mixture round the joint to form a collar then wrap a strip of greased foil around the outside.
- Pour 150 ml (1/4 pint) stock into the tin and roast at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 1 1/2 hours. Lift the joint on to a serving plate and remove the foil.
- Add the remaining stock to the pan juices and bring to the boil. Mix the arrowroot to a paste with a little water and stir into the pan juices. Adjust the seasoning and add a dash of gravy browning.
- Slice off the chick-pea crust before carving. Serve, if wished, with saute potatoes and mushrooms with peas.
Calories: 360 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 89 mg
Sodium: 379 mg
Potassium: 203 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 75 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 43 mg
Iron: 2 mg