Cheese and Apple Pie
- 13 oz frozen shortcrust pastry defrosted
- 1 lb tart dessert apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 oz Demerara sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 oz sultanas
- 3 oz Cheddar or Red Leicester cheese grated
- milk and Demerara sugar for glazing
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Roll out half the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 20 cm/8 inch pie plate.
- Core, peel and thinly slice apples. Arrange half the slices on the pastry; sprinkle at once with half the lemon juice and half each of the sugar, cinnamon and sultanas. Top with the remaining apple slices, followed by the remaining lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and sultanas.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top of the apples. Brush around the edges of the pastry with milk, then roll out the remainder of
- the pastry and cover the apples and cheese. Trim round the edge of the plate with a sharp knife.
- Press the edges of the pastry together firmly, then knock up with back of a knife and scallop or flute to make an attractive finish.
- Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut out leaves or diamonds to decorate the top of the pie. Brush with a little milk and fix on top.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk and sprinkle with a little Demerara sugar. Bake the pie in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning the pie once so that it browns evenly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4 and cook for a further 20 minutes or so, until the apples feel tender when pricked with a fine skewer. Serve warm or cold.
Calories: 335 kcal
Carbohydrates: 57 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 387 mg
Potassium: 191 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 20 g
Vitamin A: 185 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 121 mg
Iron: 2 mg