Braised Onions And Rice (Soubise)
This is a delicious accompaniment for peppered beef fillet (steak au poivre); braised artichokes or braised chicory Flemish style would complete a main course.
- 2 1/2 lb strong onions
- 4 oz risotto rice parboiled
- 3 oz butter
- 3 floz double or single cream
- 1 oz grated Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- peppered beef fillet steak au poivre
- braised globe artichokes Chicory with Lemon Flemish Style
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C) mark 2.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the rice and boil briskly for 4 minutes, then drain. Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Melt 2 oz (60 g) of the butter in a large, fireproof casserole dish; add the onions and stir well to coat with the butter. Add the rice, 1/2 tsp salt, a little freshly ground white pepper and stir well. Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 1 hour, stirring now and then. The onions and rice should be tender and very pale golden brown when done. Add a little more salt and pepper if necessary, followed by the cream, cheese and the parsley.
Calories: 460 kcal
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 77 mg
Sodium: 185 mg
Potassium: 476 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 947 IU
Vitamin C: 23 mg
Calcium: 145 mg
Iron: 2 mg