Baked or Grilled Spiced Whole Fish
- 2 1/2 lb bream carp or pomfret, cleaned and scaled if necessary
- 1 fresh red chilli seeded and ground, or 5 ml (1 tsp) chopped chilli from a jar
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2.5 cm 1 in fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 spring onions chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Rinse the fish and dry it well inside and out with absorbent kitchen paper. Slash two or three times through the fleshy part on each side of the fish.
- Place the chilli, garlic, ginger and spring onions in a food processor and blend to a paste, or grind the mixture together with a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon juice and salt, then stir in the oil.
- Spoon a little of the mixture inside the fish and pour the rest over the top. Turn the fish to coat it completely in the spice mixture and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the grill/broiler. Place a long strip of double foil under the fish to support it and to make turning it over easier. Put on a rack in a grill pan and cook under the hot grill for 5 minutes on one side and 8 minutes on the second side, basting with the marinade during cooking. Serve with boiled rice.
Calories: 241 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 191 mg
Potassium: 67 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 153 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 13 mg
Iron: 1 mg