Preparation time : 45 minutes,
Cooking time : 15 minutes,
Calories per serving: 310
8 x 2 oz (50 g) slices entrecote steak
2 oz (50 g) leeks
2 oz (50 g) carrots
2 oz (50 g) green beans
2 oz (50 g) kohlrabi
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 small shallots
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 pint (285ml) red wine
1/4 pint (150 ml) beef stock
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or cornflour
1. Trim the strip of fat from the edge of each slice of beef and discard.
Cut all the vegetables, except the shallots, into thin fingers, plunge them into boiling water for 30 seconds to blanch and drain.
2. Cover each piece of beef with an equal amount of vegetables and roll the beef around them. Secure each roll with a cocktail stick, then trim the sticks with scissors so that they do not protrude and the rolls can be evenly browned.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and brown the beef rolls on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
4. Cut the shallots into thin rings. Add the remaining oil and the red wine vinegar to the pan and saute the shallots for about 5 minutes until they are transparent and the vinegar is reduced.
5. Add the wine, stock, oyster sauce and soy sauce, then heat to a simmer. Mix the arrowroot or cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water, stirring into the sauce until thickened.
6. Return the beef rolls to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the cocktail sticks and serve with plain rice and vegetables or a side salad.