Spaghetti with Olives
There are many different varieties of olive, some very large, some very small. They are available pickled in brine in jars, or loose from delicatessens. Choose medium-sized olives for this recipe.
- 14 oz spaghetti
- 1/4 pint olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- 4 to matoes skinned and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz black olives stoned and halved
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese grated, to finish
- Heat the oil in a large frying-pan with a lid. Add the onion, green pepper and tomatoes, with salt and pepper to taste, then cover the pan and cook over moderate heat for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the olives to the tomato and pepper mixture in the frying-pan and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti for about 10 minutes, until al dente (tender yet firm to the bite). Drain well.
- Add the drained spaghetti to the frying-pan and turn gently to coat evenly with the sauce. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 765 kcal
Carbohydrates: 84 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 683 mg
Potassium: 630 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1357 IU
Vitamin C: 43 mg
Calcium: 225 mg
Iron: 2 mg