Soljanka is a Russian favorite. It's essentially a chicken soup (with the usual soup vegetables) however the various other ingredients like allspice, gherkins, dry white and yogurt all blend together fabulously to create an amazingly great taste.
- 1 small chicken weighing 2 1/2 lbs
- soup vegetables carrots, leeks, celery, etc.
- 1 onion
- 2 1/2 pt water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 1/4 lb white cabbage
- 2 pickled gherkins
- 4 floz dry white
- 2 pinches white pepper
- 6 tbsp soured cream or yogurt
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- Wash chicken and giblets.
- Clean and rinse soup vegetables, then coarsely chop. Peel and halve onion.
- Bring water to the boil with salt and allspice berries.
- Put in chicken, onion and soup vegetables. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, skimming off scum as it forms.
- Almost cover pan with lid and continue to cook chicken for 1 hour more.
- Clean and rinse white cabbage and shred coarsely. Cut pickled gherkins into julienne strips, add both to pan and cover completely before continuing to cook.
- Take chicken from pan, remove meat from carcass and cut into pieces.
- Boil soup uncovered, until reduced by half.
- Return chicken meat to soup, add wine and season to taste with pepper.
- Stir soured cream or yogurt into soup.
- Sprinkle with dill before serving.
Calories: 482 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 143 mg
Sodium: 1345 mg
Potassium: 666 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 443 IU
Vitamin C: 57 mg
Calcium: 99 mg
Iron: 3 mg