Sephardic Sabbath Rice
This savory baked rice pudding would be cooked like a kugei along with the Sabbath stew. It is kosher for Passover for Sephardic Jews only.
- 4 tablespoons chicken fat or shortening
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- meat can be slow-cooked for Sabbath
- Melt the fat in a large skillet set over high heat and saute the onions until they are golden. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Lightly grease a 1-quart baking dish.
- Place rice in a large bowl. Stir in the onions and cooking fat.
- Add the salt, pepper, and beaten eggs and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to the baking dish, and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake overnight, then serve for Sabbath lunch.
Calories: 216 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 62 mg
Sodium: 217 mg
Potassium: 104 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 81 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 25 mg
Iron: 1 mg