Rich Vanilla Ice-Cream
A rich vanilla ice-cream recipe with an egg-based custard. Ice creams made with an electric ice cream maker are prepared somewhat differently, and the manufacturer's directions should be followed.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar superfine granulated
- 1/2 cup double cream (heavy cream)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Heat the milk until almost boiling.
- Beat the eggs and 100 g of the sugar together and add the hot milk, stirring well.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook, without boiling, until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir all the time. Strain, cover and leave to go cold.
- When cold, whip the cream until semi-stiff.
- Add the cold custard, vanilla essence, and the rest of the sugar.
- Turn into a suitable container.
- Chill until thoroughly cold, cover closely and half freeze
- Beat the mixture well. Re-freeze until firm; label and store.
Calories: 141 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 59 mg
Sodium: 37 mg
Potassium: 78 mg
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 271 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Iron: 1 mg