Raseela Biryani (Lamb rice Kerala style)
- 1.1 lb Rice long-grained
- 26 oz Lamb tender, cut into pieces
- 3 1/2 oz Coconut nariyal, grated
soaked in 2 tbsp water ground to a paste:
- 3/4 tbsp Coriander dhaniya powder, broiled, powdered
- 1/4 tsp Dry red chillies sookhi la! mirch, broiled, powdered
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper kali mirch powder
- 1/8 tsp Aniseed saunf
3 1/2 oz Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 11 oz Onions cut into thin slices
- 1 oz Cashew nuts kaju, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Raisins kishmish
- a handful Curry leaves kadhi patta
- 2 Cinnamon dalchini, 1 inch stick
- 9 Cloves laung
- 3 Green cardamom choti elaichi
- 3/4 tbsp Garlic lasan paste
- 1 tsp Ginger adrak paste
- 2 Green chillies slit into half
- 1 3/4 oz Yoghurt dahi
- Salt to taste
- 3 pinches Yellow colour dissolved in 1 1/2 tbsp water
- Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped for garnishing
- Mint pudina leaves, for garnishing
- Extract 1/2 cup coconut milk from the grated coconut and grind 1/2 cup of the used coconut coarsely. Keep aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup ghee in a wok (kadhai); add turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds. Remove and keep aside. In the same ghee, fry 1/2 cup onion, cashew nuts, raisins, and curry leaves till brown. Remove and keep aside.
- Strain the leftover ghee and add the remaining ghee. Reheat. When hot, add the spice paste, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and green cardamom; saute for a while. Then add the garlic-ginger paste.
- Reduce heat, add fried turmeric powder and the remaining onions; saute lightly. Add green chillies and the coarsely ground coconut. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the lamb; mix well. Add yoghurt, salt, and coconut milk.
- Cover the pan with a deep lid containing water. When the lamb is cooked and the gravy is reduced to a cup, remove the pan from the heat.
- Cook the rice till it is 3/4th done. Add the fried onions, cashew nuts, raisins, and curry leaves.
- Grease an aluminium pan with ghee. Layer the pan alternately with the lamb pieces and the rice. When the pan is half full, pour the lamb gravy and then arrange the rest of the layers over it. Sprinkle the yellow colour over the rice.
- Spread a wet cloth over the rice, cover the pan with a lid and place live coal over and above it. Cook for 20 minutes or bake in the oven.
- Serve garnished with green coriander and mint leaves. A complete meal in itself.
Calories: 795 kcal
Carbohydrates: 85 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 18 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 91 mg
Sodium: 143 mg
Potassium: 638 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 21 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 98 mg
Iron: 4 mg