Pork Steaks with Peppers
A quick and easy dish with a piquant sauce that makes itself. Sweet peppers are grown under glass on a small scale in Britain and these are available from May to October. Choose fresh, bright peppers with firm, unwrinkbzd skin. Store for a few days if necessary in the salad drawer of the fridge.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh root ginger peeled and
- finely grated
- 1 garlic clove skinned and crushed
- 4 boneless pork loin steaks each weighing 150 g (5 oz)
- 1 red pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 pint unsweetened pineapple juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the onion, ginger and garlic and gently fry for 5 minutes, until soft. Push to one side of the pan.
- Add the steaks and brown on both sides, then add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly together.
- Cover tightly and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until the steaks are tender and the peppers are soft. Transfer the steaks and peppers to warmed serving plates. Bring the remaining liquid in the pan to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes until reduced slightly. Spoon over the steaks and serve with boiled rice.
Calories: 322 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 97 mg
Sodium: 597 mg
Potassium: 731 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 1138 IU
Vitamin C: 67 mg
Calcium: 30 mg
Iron: 1 mg