Pheasant with Apples
- 1 cooking apple peeled and cored
- 2 hen pheasants
- pork fat or 6 rashers streaky bacon rinded
- few sprigs of thyme
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp Calvados apple brandy or brandy
- 1 1/2 oz unsalted butter
- 4 eating apples peeled and cored
- 5 floz single cream
- Place 1/2 cooking apple inside each pheasant. Cover birds with a thin layer of pork fat or bacon rashers and secure with string.
- Place pheasant on a rack in a roasting tin and pour a little boiling water into the tin. Add a few sprigs of thyme and an unpeeled and halved onion to the water.
- Cover the whole tin with foil and bake at Mark 3 (160°C) 325°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and fat. Increase the oven temperature to Mark 5 (190°C) 375°F for 35 minutes to brown the breast.
- Remove birds and keep warm Spoon off fat from roasting juices, add Calvados to deglaze.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the apples and saute gently for 5 to 10 minutes until softened. Add the roasting juices and the Calvados.
- Stir in the cream and warm gently. Pour over pheasant and serve immediately.
Calories: 852 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 80 g
Saturated Fat: 18 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 285 mg
Sodium: 254 mg
Potassium: 1023 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 992 IU
Vitamin C: 24 mg
Calcium: 66 mg
Iron: 4 mg