Pasteis de Camarao (Prawn puffs)
For the pastry:
- 3 1/2 oz Refined flour maida
- 1 3/4 oz Cornflour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- Water to bind
For the filling:
- 7 oz Prawns shelled, deveined
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Onions medium-sized, chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger adrak, minced
- 6 cloves Garlic lasan, minced
- 3 Green chillies chopped
- 6 Curry leaves kadhi patta
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper kali mirch powder
- 2 tbsp Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped
- 1 tsp Vinegar sirka
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a bowl, sift together flour, % cup cornflour, and salt to mix well.
- Rub in 2 tbsp ghee with your fingertips. Add enough water to make a firm dough.
- Mix the remaining cornflour and ghee into a paste.
- Roll out the dough into a thin round. Spread the cornflour paste over it, sprinkle a little flour and roll up into a long, thin, tight roll.
- Cut the roll into 1 inch pieces. Flatten each piece with your fingers and roll into small discs.
- For the filling, heat the oil in a pan; add onions and saute till soft and golden.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chillies, and curry leaves; saute for 1 minute. Add turmeric powder and black pepper powder; saute for a few seconds.
- Add prawns and stir-fry on high heat for 2 - 3 minutes. Add green coriander and salt; continue to stir-fry till the mixture is dry.
- Add vinegar, adjust seasoning and remove from heat.
- Spread a little filling on the bottom half of the disc. Fold over to make a half-moon shape. Moisten the edges and press to seal.
- Heat the oil in a pan; deep-fry the puffs till golden. Remove and drain the excess oil on paper towels.
- Note: Untried puffs may be frozen for up to 2 months and fried when required.
- Variation: You can also use a mince filling.
Calories: 66 kcal
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Sodium: 121 mg
Potassium: 43 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 12 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 10 mg
Iron: 1 mg