Pasta et Vegetable Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
- 3 courgettes zucchini, sliced
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz fresh pasta spirals
- 4 1/2 oz grated Gruyere Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil sprigs to garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the (bell) peppers and courgettes (zucchini) and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, basil and seasoning, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Stir and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat slightly and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, or until just tender. Drain thoroughly and add to the vegetables. Toss gently to mix well.
- Put the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Cook under a preheated grill (broiler) for 5 minutes until the cheese is golden. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.
- Be careful not to overcook fresh pasta - it should be 'al dente' (retaining some 'bite'). It
- takes only a few minutes to cook as it is still full of moisture.
Calories: 655 kcal
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 23 mg
Sodium: 877 mg
Potassium: 1001 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 1056 IU
Vitamin C: 26 mg
Calcium: 303 mg
Iron: 4 mg