Oldbury Gooseberry Tarts
- 1 lb plain flour All purpose
- 4 oz butter in cubes
- 4 oz lard in cubes
- flour for rolling out
- 8 oz gooseberries topped and tailed
- 6 oz Demerara raw sugar
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and add the butter and lard.
- Pour over 60 ml (4 tbsp) boiling water. Stir until the fats melt, then mix in the flour gradually to make a warm, waxy looking, smooth dough.
- Cut off one quarter of the dough. Using just over half the piece of dough, roll out on a floured surface to a 15 cm (6 inch) round. Raise the edges 3 cm/l 1/4 inches, moulding them to form a pastry case.
- Fill with a quarter of the gooseberries and sprinkle with a quarter of the sugar.
- Roll out the smaller piece of pastry to make a top crust for the tart.
- Cut a small hole in the centre, then fit the top crust on top of the gooseberries, pinching the edges together to seal firmly.
- Make 3 more tarts in the same way.
- Carefully transfer the tarts to baking sheets and refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours.
- Set the oven at 200°c (400°f) gas 6.
- Bake the tarts for 30 - 35 minutes. Serve hot, with clotted cream, if liked.
Calories: 820 kcal
Carbohydrates: 136 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 211 mg
Potassium: 313 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 43 g
Vitamin A: 2296 IU
Vitamin C: 26 mg
Calcium: 109 mg
Iron: 6 mg