Easter Cake #2
A moist, tender, traditional rich cake with a delicate almond paste.
- 6 oz butter or margarine
- 6 oz soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 12 oz sultanas
- 8 oz raisins
- 4 oz chopped mixed peel
- 2 oz blanched almonds chopped
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 guantity almond paste see below
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam sieved
- 1 egg white
For the almond paste
- 1 lb ground almonds
- 8 oz icing sugar
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam sieved
- Line and grease a deep 20 cm (8 in) cake tin. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until pale and soft. Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little of the flour. Fold in the remaining flour, spice, fruit, peel and nuts.
- Stir in milk to make a soft consistency. Spread half in the tin.
- Roll a third of the almond paste into a 20 cm (8 in) circle. Place on top of the mixture, top with the remaining mixture; hollow out the centre slightly.
- Bake in a moderate oven 160°C, 325°F gas 3 for 2 hours, reduce to a cool oven 150°C, 300°F, gas 2 for a further 50-60 minutes. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack. Remove the paper.
- Brush the top of the cake with apricot jam. Roll half the remaining almond paste to fit the top of the cake.
- Roll the remainder into balls. Press the paste on the cake, adding the balls as shown. Brush with egg white and brown under the grill.
- Microwave Tip -
- To make jam easier to brush on cake, heat in a small bowl in the microwave with 1 teaspoon water for a few seconds, then sieve.
For the almond paste
- For the almond paste, mix the dry ingredients. Add the lemon juice, almond essence and enough egg to make a stiff, pliable dough. Knead briefly until smooth.
- Brush the top of the cake with apricot jam. Roll out a third of the paste large enough to cover the cake top.
- Lift it on top of the cake, trim the edges. Smooth the top and edges evenly with fingertips. Roll the remaining paste into a strip the width of the side of the cake and long enough to go round the cake.
- Brush the sides of the cake with jam, then place the almond paste round the cake, smoothing on to the sides. Smooth all edges and joins. Leave for 1 - 2 weeks.
Oven temperature 160°C, 325°F gas 3
Calories: 9751 kcal
Carbohydrates: 1437 g
Protein: 189 g
Saturated Fat: 115 g
Trans Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 1190 mg
Sodium: 1829 mg
Potassium: 5964 mg
Fiber: 92 g
Sugar: 893 g
Vitamin A: 5858 IU
Vitamin C: 72 mg
Calcium: 1834 mg
Iron: 40 mg