Deep-Fried Pastry Fritters (Cenci)
These delightful fritters look like lovers' knots and are served as a snack, or as an accompaniment to ice-creams and fruit salads.
- 10 oz Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs Icing confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 Tbs Rum or red wine
- Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Sift 225 g (8 oz) (2 cups) of the flour with a third of the sugar and the salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs, egg yolks and rum or wine. Using a wooden spoon, gradually draw the flour into the liquids, stirring gently until the mixture is blended to a smooth dough. Shape into a ball.
- Spread about half the remaining flour over a working surface and knead the dough in the flour for about 10 minutes, or until it is shiny. Wrap in greaseproof or waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour over the surface. Cut the dough into quarters and roll out each piece until it is paper thin. Divide the dough into strips 1 cm (1/2 in) wide by 12 cm (5 in) long, shaping the lengths into loose knots. Set aside.
- Fill a large deep-frying pan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small piece of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 50 seconds.
- Drop the knots into the oil, a few at a time, and deep-fry until they are light brown and puffed up. Transfer them to kitchen towels to drain and keep hot while you fry the remaining dough knots.
- Arrange the knots on a serving dish, sprinkle over the remaining sugar and serve warm.
Calories: 348 kcal
Carbohydrates: 59 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 179 mg
Sodium: 338 mg
Potassium: 127 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 249 IU
Calcium: 36 mg
Iron: 4 mg