Chicken with Aubergines (Eggplants)
- 1 roasting chicken weighing 2 1/2 lbs
- 3 medium aubergines/eggplants) approx. 1 1/4 lb
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 oz streaky bacon
- 11 oz ripe tomatoes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 floz dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch parsley
- Wash and chop aubergines (eggplants) unpeeled, sprinkle with salt and put aside to drain for 30 minutes.
- Chop garlic and bacon.
- Cut a cross in skin of tomatoes, immerse in boiling water, skin and chop.
- Cut chicken into 8 pieces. Wash and dry both chicken and giblets.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in large, heavy bottomed pan with lid.
- Brown chicken pieces thoroughly with chopped bacon and garlic.
- Add wine and allow it to boil away.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Rinse chopped aubergines (eggplants) and drain well.
- Fry in remaining oil over high heat for 7 minutes, turning constantly. Add to chicken mixture.
- Wash and dry parsley before chopping finely and sprinkling over dish just before serving.
Calories: 609 kcal
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 111 mg
Sodium: 973 mg
Potassium: 839 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 884 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 2 mg