Castilian Cream Of Artichoke Soup
- 4 very large or 8 medium-sized globe artichokes
- 1 pint beef stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz plain flour
- 9 floz milk
- 2 1/2 floz double cream
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Heat the stock and prepare the artichokes. Prepare the artichokes, stripping off all the leaves and removing the choke. You will only be using the bottoms for this recipe.
- Drop each artichoke bottom into a bowl of cold water acidulated with two thirds of the lemon juice as soon as you have prepared it to prevent discoloration. Drain and slice. Place these slices in a wide non-stick frying pan, add 5 fl oz (150 ml) of the stock, cover with a lid or foil and poach for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan; stir in the flour and cook over a low heat, stirring continuously, for 1-2 minutes. It should not colour. Draw aside from the heat and keep beating vigorously with a balloon whisk or hand-held electric beater as you gradually pour in the hot stock, adding a little at a time.
- Return to a gentle heat, add the artichoke slices and their cooking juices, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the artichokes are very tender, beat with a hand-held electric beater or put through a vegetable mill. Stir the milk into this puree and reheat to boiling point. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg yolks and cream together briefly in a small bowl with a pinch of salt and a little freshly ground white pepper.
- Gradually beat in 2 tbsp of the hot soup. Take the saucepan containing the boiling hot soup off the heat; pour the slightly thinned egg and cream liaison into the soup in a very thin stream, beating continuously.
- Return the saucepan to a very low heat and keep stirring as the soup thickens slightly. It must not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in some of the remaining lemon juice.
Calories: 370 kcal
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 160 mg
Sodium: 497 mg
Potassium: 860 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 886 IU
Vitamin C: 29 mg
Calcium: 177 mg
Iron: 3 mg