This little flaky butter pastry, Chausson aux Pommes, is named for its shape. It is a favourite with children aigouter, the four o'clock snack that is traditional in France. Serve it warm.
- 8 3/4 oz cold butter
- 8 3/4 oz flour plus extra for dusting
- 2 1/2 floz cold water
- 1.1 lb apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 oz unrefined caster sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg for sealing
- Take 8 3/4 oz of the butter, hard from the fridge, and cut it into very small pieces. Place the pieces on a tray and leave to soften for 20 minutes.
- Put the flour in a bowl, add a few pieces of butter and toss them in the flour using a round-bladed knife. Continue adding butter until all of it is well coated in flour, so that no pieces get the chance to clump together. Add the cold water and with a cutting motion quickly mix until the pastry comes together into a ball.
- Transfer to a lightly dusted, cool surface and gently shape with your hands into a brick. Roll out to an oblong about 18 x 10cm.
- Fold one third over to the centre, the other third over that, then use the rolling pin to press the edges together, trapping pockets of air. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Lightly flour the surface again, give the pastry a quarter turn, and repeat as above. Do this three more times. Wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Melt the remaining 50 g butter in a large frying pan over a moderate heat, add the apples and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon, remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
- Dust a baking sheet with flour and roll out the pastry to a circle about 1cm thick. Spoon the apples into one half, brush the edges with egg and fold the pastry over into a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges with your fingers to seal them. Brush with egg , pierce with a fork and dust with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 160°F/gas 3 and bake for 20 minutes more.
Calories: 519 kcal
Carbohydrates: 48 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 22 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 116 mg
Sodium: 308 mg
Potassium: 154 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 1118 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 27 mg
Iron: 2 mg