Apple And Raisin Chutney #1
- 2 lb sweet eating apples e.g. Cox's Orange Pippins
- 2 floz unsweetened apple juice
- 2 oz chopped walnuts
- 5 oz raisins
- 2 floz apple cider vinegar
- Special herbs for apple pies cinnamon, citrus peel, fennel, cardamom seeds, clove
- Core, but do not peel, the apples and cut into dice.
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy pan, stir well and simmer with the lid on until tender.
- Remove the lid and simmer, stirring frequently, until the chutney is thick.
- Store the chutney in glass jars or stoneware containers with well-fitting lids (vinegar will corrode metal lids) . Put the clean jars into a very slow oven to dry and warm, 225°F ( 100°C) gas mark 1/4. Fill the warm jars with the hot chutney and put the lids on at once.
- Label and date the chutney, and store in a cool, dark place, or the refrigerator. Do not keep for longer than 1 week because of the low vinegar and sugar content.
Calories: 325 kcal
Carbohydrates: 63 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 14 mg
Potassium: 623 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 25 g
Vitamin A: 125 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 40 mg
Iron: 2 mg