Preparation time 20 minutes,
Cooking time 45 minutes,
Oven temperature 180°C, 350°F, gas 4,
Calories 525 per portion
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
450 g (1 lb) minced beef
100 g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
300 ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
salt and pepper
675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes
25 g (1 oz) butter or margarine
2-3 tablespoons milk
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and pepper for a few minutes. Stir in the minced beef and cook until it is evenly browned.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Mix in the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and seasoning and slowly bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, mash with a fork, add the butter or margarine and the milk and beat until smooth.
4. Place the meat mixture in an ovenproof dish and cover with the mashed potato, forking it neatly or piping it.
5. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden.
6. Serve the shepherd's pie immediately.
Make individual pies, freeze until hard, then pack neatly in a large bag. Microwave on high for 10 - 20 minutes for one or two pies.
31 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!