4 small to medium good-quality smoked mackerel
1 Webbs Wonderful lettuce
1 2/3 cup (125 g) button mushrooms, very thinly sliced
Sunflower oil for frying
1 lb (500g) potatoes, boiled in their skins, cubed or sliced
6 spring onions, sliced diagonally, including all the good green parts
1 tablespoon mint leaves, finely chopped, plus a few whole leaves to garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C), or heat the grill or barbecue.
2. Wrap the smoked mackerel in individual foil parcels (you can take the fillets off if you prefer) and warm them gently in the oven, under the grill or over the barbecue.
3. Wash and dry the lettuce, and make it look sprightly in your best salad bowl.
4. Scatter with the sliced mushrooms and drizzle over some vinaigrette -not too much as the salad is intended to be a foil to the lemony potatoes and naturally oily mackerel.
5. Now heat up the oil in a wok or large heavy frying pan.
6. Add the potatoes and stir fry them until they are crisp and golden. Toss in the spring onions and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
7. Add the juice of half the lemon (reserve the other half to use as a garnish) and briskly stir fry, then scatter over the chopped mint and a sprinkling of pepper and give a few final turns over the heat until the stir-fry is fragrant.
8. Place a smoked mackerel on each of four plates and garnish with thin halved slices cut from the reserved lemon half.
9. Arrange the stir fried lemon potatoes alongside and garnish with whole mint leaves. Serve with the green salad.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!