Potato and Courgette Savoury
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and cut into 3 mm (1/8 inch) slices
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 oz butter or margarine
- 1 lb courgettes trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8 oz onions skinned and thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Blanch the potatoes: put into a pan of boiling salted water for 5 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well.
- In a large frying pan, melt half the fat. Add the courgettes and onions and fry gently for 10 12 minutes, or until softened. Remove from the pan using slotted spoons.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining fat. Gently fry the potato slices until pale golden.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, mustard, basil and seasoning.
- Layer the vegetables and milk mixture in a shallow 1.7 litre (3 pint) ovenproof dish, ending with a neat potato layer.
- Place the dish in a roasting tin, half filled with water. Bake at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for about 1 1/4 hours until set and well browned.
Calories: 328 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Protein: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 120 mg
Sodium: 211 mg
Potassium: 1035 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 759 IU
Vitamin C: 46 mg
Calcium: 149 mg
Iron: 2 mg