Because leeks harbour dirt it is best to slice them before washing thoroughly in a colander.
- 1 lb leeks trimmed, thinly sliced and washed
- salt and pepper
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
- 1/2 pint fresh milk
- 5 oz soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Place the leeks in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, put the butter, the flour and milk in a medium saucepan. Heat, whisking continuously, until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add half the cooked leeks and leave to cool.
- Place the cooled sauce, soft cheese, eggs and breadcrumbs in a blender or food processor and process until almost smooth. Season to taste.
- Lightly grease eight 100 ml (4 fl oz) ramekin dishes and scatter a few of the reserved leeks in the bottom of each. Carefully pour the sauce on top of the leeks.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin. Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Cover the roasting tin tightly with foil.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 1 hour or until just firm to the touch. Stand for 4-5 minutes before turning out.
Calories: 171 kcal
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 71 mg
Sodium: 141 mg
Potassium: 188 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 1379 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 92 mg
Iron: 2 mg