Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
- 5 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1/3 cup butter or block margarine
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 oz ground hazelnuts filberts
- 1 egg yolk
for the filling
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/3 cup caster sugar superfine granulated
- 12 oz curd cheese
- 1 1/2 oz ground hazelnuts filberts
- 1/4 pt double cream (heavy cream) whipped
- 1 oz cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tsp dark rum
- icing sugar confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Lightly oil a 20.5 cm (8 inch) round loose-based cake tin.
- To make the chocolate pastry, put the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, the sugar and hazelnuts. Then add the egg yolk and sufficient water to give a soft dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line the prepared tin. Chill while making the filling.
- To make the filling, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until thick enough to leave a trail on the surface when the whisk is lifted.
- Whisk in the cheese, nuts, cream, cocoa powder and rum until blended.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold them into the cheese mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and fold the edges of the pastry over the filling.
- Bake in the oven at 170°C (325°F/gas 3) for 1 1/2 hours until risen and just firm to the touch. Carefully remove from the tin and dust the top with icing sugar. Serve while still hot.
Calories: 659 kcal
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Protein: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 23 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 202 mg
Sodium: 486 mg
Potassium: 167 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 727 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 462 mg
Iron: 3 mg