Mascarpone cheesecake is a traditional Italian dessert. It's rich, creamy, and made with eggs and cream cheese for a decadent treat.
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 1/2 oz ginger biscuits cookies, crushed
- 1 oz stem ginger candied, chopped
- 1 lb 2 oz mascarpone cheese
- finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 1/2 oz caster superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs separated
- fruit coulis to serve
- Grease and line the base of a 25 cm/10 inch spring-form cake tin (pan) or loose-bottomed tin (pan).
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the crushed biscuits (cookies) and chopped ginger. Use the mixture to line the tin (pan), pressing the mixture about 6 mm (1/4 inch) up the sides.
- Beat together the cheese, lemon rind and juice, sugar and egg yolks until quite smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into the cheese and lemon mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin (pan) and bake in a preheated oven, at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 35 - 45 minutes until just set. Don't worry if it cracks or sinks - this is quite normal.
- Leave the cheesecake in the tin (pan) to cool. Serve with fruit coulis.
- Fruit coulis can be made by cooking 400 g (14 oz) fruit, such as blueberries, for 5 minutes with 2 tablespoons of water. Sieve the mixture, then stir in 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar. Leave to cool before serving.
Calories: 438 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 19 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 107 mg
Sodium: 150 mg
Potassium: 50 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 15 g
Vitamin A: 936 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 94 mg
Iron: 1 mg