Egg and Cucumber Mousse
For an egg and sweet pepper mousse, omit the cucumber and parsley; deseed and dice 1 small red and 1 small yellow pepper and add to the chopped egg and onions. Garnish with strips of pepper.
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 9 oz cucumber quartered lengthways
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large spring onions including green tops, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 pint thick bottled mayonnaise
- 3 floz natural yoghurt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg white
- Scrape out the cucumber seeds with a teaspoon and chop the cucumber finely. Spread it out on a plate and sprinkle with salt. Put another plate over the cucumber and place heavy weights on top. Leave for 30 minutes, then drain thoroughly.
- Put the hard-boiled eggs, cucumber, onions and parsley into a bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a small heatproof bowl and leave to soak for 5 minutes, until spongy. Stand the bowl in a pan of gently simmering water and leave for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until gelatine has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the yoghurt. Allow the gelatine liquid to cool slightly, then stir it briskly into the mayonnaise mixture. Stir in the egg mixture and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes, until beginning to set.
- In a clean dry bowl, whisk the egg white until standing in stiff peaks, then fold it into the egg mixture with a large metal spoon. Turn the mousse into an 850 ml (1 1/2 pint) serving dish, cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until set. Serve chilled.
Calories: 210 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 135 mg
Sodium: 576 mg
Potassium: 166 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 516 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 52 mg
Iron: 1 mg