Crusty Steak Sandwiches
- 4 slices thin-cut sirloin steak each weighing 4 oz
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large slices brown bread
- 1 tablespoon made English mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 oz Cheddar cheese finely grated
- 2 oz margarine or butter
- Brush the steaks with a little oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bread on 1 side only with the mustard. Dip the other side of the bread into the beaten egg, then into the grated cheese.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying-pan, add the slices of bread, mustard side down, and fry over gentle heat for about 5 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the pan with a fish slice and drain well on absorbent paper. Cut each slice of bread diagonally in half and keep them hot.
- Grill the steaks for 1 minute on each side for a rare steak, 2 - 3 minutes for medium to well-done steak.
- When the steaks are grilled to your liking, place each between 2 triangles of fried bread with the cheese on the inside.
- Serve the steaks on a warmed serving dish with the meat juices from the grill pan poured over.
Calories: 407 kcal
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Protein: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 413 mg
Potassium: 469 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 488 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 133 mg
Iron: 3 mg