Crunchy Topped Mince
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 oz dripping fat from roasted meat or oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 oz plain flour All purpose
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube stock cube
- 1/2 pint hot water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
for the topping
- 4 slices white bread medium sliced
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- In a saucepan, fry the onion in the dripping until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the meat, flour and salt and stir over fairly high heat to seal the meat.
- As the meat begins to brown, stir more frequently to prevent it from sticking to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the bouillon cube with the hot water and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir this into the meat and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid or foil and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cooked mince in a shallow heatproof dish and keep hot.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut the rest into small dice about 1/4 in. (0.6cm) square.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the bread, turning it to coat the croutons with butter until lightly coloured and crisp.
- Remove from the heat, quickly stir in the cheese and immediately place all ingredients on top of the mince.
Calories: 618 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 22 g
Trans Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 133 mg
Sodium: 684 mg
Potassium: 438 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 500 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 205 mg
Iron: 4 mg